St. George’s was built in response to the massively expanding population of Jesmond in the 1880s, thanks to the generosity of Charles Mitchell, parishioner, shipbuilder, and business partner of Lord Armstrong. The resulting Grade 1 listed church was consecrated in October 1888 and the interior significantly restored in 2011 and 2013.
Like its huge tower, which echoes the Campanile of St. Mark’s Venice, the interior is vast and richly decorated in Italian inspired mosaics, echoing recurring Christian symbols, framed by the great East and West Windows, representing respectively the Nativity and Visitation of the Shepherds and Three Kings (East) and the Last Judgement (West).
Mitchell was able to draw on the finest materials and some noted artists and craftsmen for the decorative work, with painted panels and some glass by T.R. Spence and a pulpit carved by Ralph Hedley, whose work can also be see in St. Nicholas’s Cathedral.
This Short Guide Leaflet contains some further detail but we recommend visiting in person if you are able to. The mosaics particularly are really spectacular!